Robert A. Bennett

Director of Public Services

Michael Sherba

Supervisor of Public Works

Johnson City Sewer Department
243 Main Street
Johnson City, New York 13790

Phone: (607) 797-3031
Fax: (607) 798-9553

Johnson City Sewer Department

The Sewer Department consists of four (4) full time employees, a Foreman who is also the Street Foreman and a Deputy Superintendent of Public Works who also oversees the Street, Refuse, Parks and Mechanics.   There is one Account Clerk Typist that is responsible for payroll, personnel, time-off, billings/invoices and customer service for Streets, Sewer, Mechanics, Parks and Refuse. 

The Sewer Department is responsible for approximately sixty (60) miles of pipes, one pump station located on Brown Street, and two (2) Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO's) structures that are located along the Susquehanna River and operate the sewer system within the requirements of the NYSDEC.

Click here for information about the Binghamton-Johnson City Joint Sewage Plant. You may also visit their website here.

The Village owns equipment capable of visually inspecting and cleaning sewer laterals between the building and the main sewer line. If there is a sewer problem in the lateral between the road edge and the sewer main, the Village will clear the lateral. If the problem is located between the building and the road edge, the owner has the option to hire a plumber or allow the Village to clear the lateral for a cost of $80.00. If it is discovered that the sewer lateral is damaged or in need of repair, the responsibility is that of the homeowner.

If a sewer odor becomes noticeable, check the basement floor drain. If it is dry, place water into the drain

There are two things that you can do to aid in eliminating sewer backups. First, have a plug available to plug the floor drain and second, periodically check the cleanout cap on your sewer pipe to ensure it is secure and in good condition.


Please take notice that in accordance with Village Code §240-31. Permit Required - It shall be unlawful for any person to make or cause or permit to be made or caused any excavation or opening in or under the surface or pavement of any permit area or to perform any work within the permit area without having first obtained a permit. PERMIT AREA - The area within the right-of-way lines of any village street and any road or highway (typically this is the area from back of sidewalk to the edge of the road).

What does all this mean? – If you want to do any work, such as removing the grass between your sidewalk and curb, you must first contact the DPW at 797-3031.


Permit applications must be obtained directly from the DPW office. If the permit requires the applicant to be a licensed plumber, please be prepared to show proof of a valid, current Johnson City Plumbing License and proof of the required insurances.

  • Excavations Permits - $5.00 for the first day plus an additional $1.00 per day for every day of the job length; for all contractors who are digging in the Village Right-Of-Way
  • Street Permit - $5.00 for the first day plus an additional $1.00 per day for every day of the job length for contractors or individuals who are blocking the Village Right-Of-Way for any reason (examples - Dumpster in roadway, barricades, construction equipment on roadway or sidewalks)
  • Sewer Permits - $35.00 for replacing, repairing or installing a new exterior sewer lateral. The applicant must be a plumber licensed in the Village of JC.
  • Storm Water Drainage Work - $25.00 for contractors, or individuals who are doing any type of drainage work on their property that redirects or effects the flow of water. Single dwelling homes must submit a drawing of work being done. Businesses or multi-family homes must submit plans/drawings to the Director of Public Services for approval before any permit is issued.
  • Water Line Permits - $10.00 for replacing, repairing or installing a new exterior water line lateral. The applicant must be a plumber licensed in the Village of JC.

Pursuant to Section 222-82 of the Village Code, roof leaders are not allowed to be connected to the sanitary sewer. If you are unsure if your roof leaders are connected to the sanitary sewer, please contact the Sewer Department at 797-3031 to set up an appointment.

Grease Disposal Tips


Johnson City needs the help of all of its residents to keep our sewer system running properly. By following the guidelines below, you can help avoid repeated repairs and unnecessary disruptions to residences and businesses.


Cooking oil and grease are wastes that the Village's sewer system cannot handle and shall not be discarded down the drain. Dumping grease, fats, and oil can clog sewer lines, causing sewage back-ups and flooding. Sewage back-ups can damage personal and public property. Here's how you can help.

DO NOT dump cooking oil, poultry fat and grease into the kitchen sink, the toilet bowl, sewer lines /cleanouts or catchbasins.

DO place cooled cooking oil, poultry and meat fats in sealed non-recyclable containers and discard with your regular garbage.


As part of the E.P.A.’s Cleanwater Act, a new federal law, known as “Stormwater Phase II”, has been implemented.

Phase I covered large cities and construction sites greater than five (5) acres. Phase II, which includes Johnson City, covers the majority of urbanized areas and construction activities disturbing one (1) or more acres.

As part of the Village’s Phase II Permit six (6) minimum measures must be achieved. These areas include:

  1. Public Education and Outreach
  2. Public Involvement and Participation
  3. Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination
  4. Construction Site Runoff Control
  5. Post-Construction Runoff Control
  6. Pollution Prevention & Good Housekeeping

SWMP (Storm Water Management Program)

  • Never dump anything down storm drains/catchbasins.
  • Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks and roads.
  • Vegetate bare spots in your yard.
  • Compost your yardwaste or put it out to the curb for collection.
  • Do not blow grass or leaves clippings into the street.
  • Avoid pesticides; learn about Integrated Pest Management.
  • Direct downspouts away from paved areas.
  • Take your car to a carwash instead of washing it in your driveway.
  • Check your car for leaks and recycle motor oil.
  • Pick up after your pet.

For more information, look on the following websites:


Sewer bill is based on your water consumption every three months.


Year of Rate Change Minimum Bill (0-1,000 cubic feet) Cost per 100 cubic feet over the 1,000 c.f. minimum
2014 $40.00 = $0.005/gallon $4.25
2018 $50.00 = $0.007/gallon $5.25

Community Rate System (CRS) ACTIVITY 350

FEMA Materials at Your Home Public Library – 107 Main Street, Johnson City, New York

For on-line FEMA information: FEMA Flood Map Service Center at

For on-line FEMA | National Flood Insurance Program information:

Answers to Questions about the National Flood Insurance Program. November 1997

  • FEMA 54  Elevated Residential Structures. Match 1984
  • FEMA 85  Manufactured Home Installation in Flood Hazard Areas. September 1985
  • FEMA 100  A Unified National Program for Floodplain Management. March 1986
  • FEMA 102  Flood Proofing Non-Residential Structures. May 1986
  • FEMA 114  Design Manual for Retrofitting Flood-Prone Residential Structures. September 1986
  • FEMA 186  Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Guidelines. October 1989
  • FEMA P-213  National Flood Insurance Program Assistance Series: Answers to Questions About Substantially Damaged Buildings. May 1991
  • FEMA 234  Repairing Your Flooded Home. August 1992
  • FEMA 258  How to Use a Flood Map to Determine Flood Risk for a Property. May 1988
  • FEMA 268  Protecting Floodplain Resources: A Guide for Communities. June 1996
  • FEMA P-312  Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your Home From Flooding. December 2009
  • FEMA P-347  Above the Flood: Elevating Your Flood Proof House. May 2000
  • FEMA P-348  Protecting Building Utilities From Flood Damage. November 1999
  • FEMA P-545s  Ayuda Despues de un Desastre. July 2008
    Protecting Your Home and Property From Flood Damage: Mitigation Ideas for Reducing Flood Loss. August 2008
  • FEMA 545  Help After a Disaster: Applicant’s Guide to the Individuals & Households Program. July 2008 (Braille copy available)
  • Copies of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) and Floodway Maps.
  • Guide to Flood Insurance Rate Maps, FIA, May, 1988.
  • Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Guidelines. September 1999.
  • National Flood Insurance Program Regulation. Revised June 2000