Village Court

Hon. Gregory P. Thomas

Village Justice

Hon. Thomas J. Dellapenna Jr.

Acting Village Justice

Johnson City Village Court
31 Avenue C Suite 2
Johnson City, New York 13790

Phone: (607) 798-0002
Fax: (607) 798-9051


The Johnson City Village Court is located on the second floor of the George Korutz Justice Building at 31 Avenue C. Our court is currently the second busiest criminal court in Broome County. The court staff consists of three full-time clerks, two part-time clerks and an armed Court Bailiff. The court clerks handle a wide variety of cases ranging from petit larceny, assaults, domestic violence, search warrants, code violations, trespass, orders of protection, traffic violations and parking tickets. The court has a committed jury trial day once a month and a non-jury and civil trial day. The clerks also handle civil filings of landlords and tenants as well as small claims matters.

The Honorable Gregory Thomas is the Village Justice who presides over cases every Friday. The calendar consists of a wide array of matters which involve arraignments, sentencing and hearings and usually runs from 8:30am until late afternoon. The Court has an assigned Assistant District Attorney and Assistant Public Defender who appear weekly to hear and work through matters. Jury and Non-Jury cases are also held in Village Court on a continual basis. During the course of a week the staff handles hundreds of phone calls and answers the questions and concerns of a few hundred more individuals. On average, the office is handling thousands of inquiries in a month’s time. The court handles 5,500 – 6,500 cases per year. The Court staff continues their annual certifications and meetings to keep up to date with the ever changing laws and issues that face the court daily.

Johnson City Courts

Statistics play a very important role in the court functions. We are a Village Court governed by the laws of the State of New York. Thus, one of the responsibilities of the court employees is the continual process of being updated on NYS Laws as they are passed periodically throughout the year by the State Legislature. This office has a working relationship with the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Broome County Sheriff’s Office, Broome County Probation, the New York State Police, Broome County Court and all other local City, Town and Village courts. Financial and statistical reports that are monitored closely clearly state that the Village Court is an attribute to Johnson City and the Village residents. It is, however, a department that is extremely busy, showing tremendous increases in the number of cases and complaints before the court for the size of our Village. One of the measures the court focuses on to lessen the load on the taxpayers is to apply for and receive grants for office and court security equipment. This office has been successful in receiving three grants in the last six years, saving Village residents $13,000.

Parking Tickets in the Village of Johnson City are issued by the Johnson City Police and the Parking Enforcement Unit but all tickets are answerable in the court.

If you have received one or have any outstanding parking tickets, they can be handled and processed through the court office.








Weddings are available to be performed by the Village Justice.

Please contact the court as soon as a date is selected, to ensure the Justice is available for your date.







Village of Johnson City, New York
Court Security Policy

  1. Policy Statement
    1. All persons entering the court facility will be subject to screening procedures or be allowed to voluntarily leave the facility. A Magnetometer is in use for the screening process.
    2. The Magnetometer will be operated within a predetermined authorized calibration. Prohibited items shall be as established by the Justices of the court from time to time.
    3. All individuals in Section II (A), (B), and (C) (General Exceptions) and Section III (Special Exceptions), who are in court, in other than an official capacity, are prohibited from carrying weapons in the court facility. All such individuals will be subject to screening procedures.
    4. There are no provisions for vouchering and holding prohibited items.
  2. General Exceptions
    1. Court Personnel - - all judicial and non-judicial personnel will be allowed to bypass the screening procedure.
    2. County Agencies – all county agencies (District Attorney’s office, Public Defenders, Probation, etc..) will be allowed to bypass the screening procedure provided they produce an employee identification card which contains the appropriate stamp on the back of the card.
    3. Law Enforcement Personnel – all law enforcement personnel who are in the court on official business will be allowed to bypass the screening procedure provided they produce an official shield and employee identification card.
    4. Attorneys—all attorneys will be allowed to bypass the screening procedure provided they produce a valid Unified Court System Identification Card. All attorneys are prohibited from carrying weapons in the court facility.
  3. Special Exceptions
    1. All requests for special exceptions must be approved by the Village of Johnson City Justice.
    2. Very specific justification must accompany all special exception requests.
    3. Security Screening – Prohibited Items
      1. Large knapsacks, backpacks, duffel bags, large purses, boxes and carrying cases.
      2. Children’s strollers and baby carriers. Parents are encouraged not to bring infants and small children to court.
      3. Guns and ammunition including BB guns, air and compressed gas-powered guns, pellet guns, flare guns, parts of guns, replicas of guns, gun lighters, toy guns and starter pistols.
      4. Tools of any kind. This also includes nails, screws, rivets, etc…
      5. Martial Arts and self-defense items including clubs, black jacks, brass knuckles, sticks, mace/pepper spray.
      6. Sharp objects including knives of any kind or length, scissors, any item containing a razor blade, any kind of silverware.
      7. Sporting equipment including baseball bats, golf clubs, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, spear guns, bows and arrows.
      8. Electronic devices including cameras, camcorders and tape recorders.
      9. Any explosive material or flammable item including blasting caps, fireworks, flares, aerosol cans, fuels, paints and paint thinner, lighter fluid.
      10. Toxic chemicals and other dangerous items including chlorine, compressed gas cylinders, liquid bleach, batteries containing liquid, spray paint and tear gas.
      11. Food and beverage of any kind.
      12. Any other item as identified by the Court Bailiff performing the security screen.
    4. Additional items
      1. All cell phones must be powered down in the courtroom.
      2. All hats must be removed while in the courtroom.
      3. Appropriate behavior and respect in the courtroom is expected.

Frequently Asked Questions

When are the Court Sessions held?

Court is in session:

  • 1st and 2nd Wednesday commencing at 8:30am for arraignments, evictions and small claims
  • 3rd Wednesday commencing at 8:30am for Code Enforcement and Parking
  • 3rd & 4th Wednesday at commencing at 4:30pm for arraignments, evictions and small claims
  • Every Friday commencing at 8:30am is set aside for scheduled pre trials (misdemeanors) and non-jury trials (violations).

Please see additional information under evictions and small claims proceedings.

What are your office hours?

Monday - Friday 8:30am – 3:30 pm*

* You may leave a telephone message at any time. If no one is in the justice office at the time of your call, you may leave a message and your call will be returned. Messages are checked on a daily basis. A locked drop box is located in the lobby of the building next to the police window. You may leave a plea or payment. If you wish to be provided with a receipt, you must leave a self addressed stamped envelope.

How do I file a small claim and how much is the filing fee?

Small Claims can be filed with the Court Clerk.

The party you are filing against must live, work or have a place of business in the Village of Johnson City and receive their mail in the Village of Johnson City. You must provide the court with an exact mailing address. Post office boxes are not acceptable.

The maximum amount to claim is $3000.00. If the amount exceeds $3,000.00 you may file in city court. For claims up to $1000.00, the filing fee is $10.00. For claims over $1000.00 the filing fee is $15.00.

It is recommended that you call ahead to make an appointment to file the paperwork. For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the court office.

You may also view the New York State Guide to Small Claims Court by clicking here.

Is there an alternative to filing a Small Claim?

Yes. You can contact ACCORD (A Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc.). This is a mediator service, which is free.

In Broome County you can call 607-724-5153 or Email the center at

When are Eviction Proceedings?

Evictions are heard on Wednesdays. Please call the court to confirm specific date and time. The filing fee is $20.00.

Additional Resources:

How do I answer my traffic ticket?

It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. Upon receiving the charge(s) you must either appear on the date listed on the bottom of the ticket or you may sign the ticket according to the written instructions, indicating your plea of either guilty or not guilty and mail it to the court. Upon a plea of guilty, a fine and surcharge will be assessed and you will be notified by mail of the amount due. Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be sent further information on how to proceed.


A supporting deposition or more detailed account of the incident may be requested if you did not receive one when the ticket(s) were issued.

Note: Be sure to review ALL information printed on your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket; to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket.

How do I to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain?

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued. You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office. Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

What if I missed a court date?

Call the court or your attorney immediately. You may be subject to a license suspension or a warrant could be issued for your arrest.

How do I contact New York State DMV?

1-800-CALLDMV - available within NY State


My license is suspended or is going to be suspended. What do I do?

Depending on the reason for your suspension, you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court.

If your license is suspended, and the effective date is on or after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website

Submit your identified payment as outlined in the next question along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement. Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

How do I make a payment?

Payments may be made by US Postal Service, in person or by leaving it in the Village of Johnson City Court locked drop box.

Cash, money order, or a certified bank check made payable to the Village of Johnson City Court are accepted. Be sure to include a case number, ticket number, or name for proper posting. Personal checks are NOT accepted. Include a self-addressed stamp envelope with your payment if you desire a receipt.

Credit card payments are also accepted using VISA or Mastercard - Call the court during normal business hours for instructions.

I lost my fine notice; how can I pay by credit card now?

You can print out the form by clicking below. Be sure you verify the amount due by calling and speaking with the court clerk. If your license is suspended, you may also owe the Suspension Termination Fee and verification by the court clerk will ascertain the total amount due. Credit card authorization payments with the incorrect amount will NOT be processed.

Credit Card Authorization

Send to the address listed on the top of this page, or you may fax the form if you wish. If you want your receipt, send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.

How do I contact the Broome County District Attorney’s Office?

If you wish to contact the District Attorney’s Office they may be reached by mail:

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
Post Office Box 1766 45 Hawley Street, 4th Floor
Binghamton, New York 13902

By phone: 607-778-2198

Do I need a lawyer to appear in court with me?
Although you are not required to have an attorney it is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel.
How do I obtain representation by the Public Defender?

Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview. You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment.

The Public Defender's Office is located at:

45 Hawley Street
6th Floor
Binghamton, NY