Clerk / Treasurer

Cindy Kennerup

Village Clerk / Treasurer

Kim Cunningham

Deputy Village Clerk

Thomas A. Johnson

Deputy Village Treasurer

Office of the Village Clerk/Treasurer
243 Main Street
Johnson City, NY 13790

Phone: (607) 798-7861
Fax: (607) 798-7865

The Village Clerk-Treasurer is a full-time position appointed by the Mayor. This is an important administrative position in the Village of Johnson City government involving the supervision, direction, and the coordination of the activities of the Office of the Village Clerk/Treasurer.

The Village Clerk-Treasurer works under the direction of the Mayor to carry out the day-to-day administrative tasks associated with municipal government.

Generally the Village Clerk/Treasurer position in any village encompasses two main responsibilities, the clerk’s area (records management) and the treasurer’s area (financial accountability and reporting).

Note: Birth Records, Death Records, & Genealogical Research is handled by the Village Registrar

Click Here for Johnson City Title VI Plan

Village of Johnson City Clerk

The Village Clerk’s main responsibilities include maintaining and safeguarding the Village’s records, and collecting such moneys as are required by statute. Since a Village Clerk’s office can be a sizable operation with many types of activities happening at the same time, many villages allow the Village Clerk-Treasurer or the Village Clerk to have one or more deputy clerks to handle the day-to-day transactions and activities of the Village Clerk’s office. The Village Clerk’s Office duties may include, but are not limited to the following:

  • The collection of fees for and issuance of licenses and permits.
  • The collection of moneys for real property taxes and utility services, such as water, sewer, refuse, etc.
  • The deposit of all moneys collected in a village account, and the accounting for such moneys received to the Treasurer.
  • The preparation of board meeting agendas, and attendance at meetings as directed, and the reporting of the results of those meetings (minutes).
  • The filing of all village records and that they are safeguarded at all times.
  • The administering and filing of oaths of office for all village government officials.
  • The processing of village claims for payment.
  • Village’s Record Management Officer (RMO)
    • Custodian of all Village records, responsible for active files, storage and retrieval of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
  • The Village Clerk is the Filing Officer
    • Maintains files and records of adopted Village Ordinances and Local Laws, Village Oaths of Office, petitions, proof of publications, annual budgets, assessment rolls, fiscal reports, notices of lien, notices of highway defects and claims against the Village. Additionally, maintains public signboard, advertises and receives bids for purchase of materials and services

The treasurer’s main responsibilities include establishing the Village’s financial accounting and reporting systems. The treasurer is the custodian of all village moneys, and must account to the board and New York State for all moneys received, expended and remaining on hand. The Treasurer’s duties may include, but are not limited to the following:

  • The Treasurer is the custodian of all Village moneys.
  • The Treasurer is required to account for all moneys received and expended and to report periodically to the Board of Trustees on the status of such moneys/funds.
  • The Treasurer must report on the status of the Village’s financial position to other outside agencies such as the NYS Comptroller’s Office at least annually.
  • The Treasurer pays the bills and debts of the Village as directed by the Board of Trustees.
  • The Treasurer also assists the Village Budget Officer (Mayor) by preparing periodic budget/actual reports of revenues and expenditures in order for the Mayor and the Board of Trustees to be able monitor budget performance.
  • The Treasurer assists the Mayor in preparing schedules for the annual budget adoption process.
  • The Treasurer performs such other duties as are prescribed by the Board of Trustees and/or the Mayor.
  • Responsible for the supervision of the Billing Department, which represents the receivables for the three utilities; Water, Sewer and Refuse operations.
  • Responsible for the supervision of the Village’s Payroll function including applicable Federal and State payroll taxes and State Retirement System reporting.
  • Responsible for the tax collection of the Village’s tax levy and forwarding list of unpaid property taxes to Broome County for re-levy purposes.
  • Works with auditors at year-end and assists with generating reports necessary for the audit.

As a courtesy to our residents, we offer free notary public services during our regular business hours.

As a Licensing Agent, The Village Clerk issues numerous State and Village licenses and permits.

  • Electrical Licenses
  • Gaming Licenses
  • Parking Permit for the Disabled
  • Peddler and Solicitor Licenses
  • Live Entertainment License
  • Second Hand Dealer License
  • Transient Merchant License
  • Plumbing Licenses

Dog Control & Licensing:

The Town of Union handles all dog control and licensing for the residents in the Village of Johnson City. The offices are located at:

Town of Union Offices – Dog Control Office
3111 E. Main Street
Endwell, NY 13760
(607) 786-2940 or

The Village of Johnson City Fiscal Year runs from June 1st – May 31st. The Village Board must adopt a budget by May 1st of each year.

The Budget was adopted by the Village Board on April 23, 2019.

2019 – 2020 Adopted Budget


2018 – 2019 Adopted Budget

2017 – 2018 Adopted Budget

2016 – 2017 Adopted Budget

2015 – 2016 Adopted Budget

Parking for People with Disabilities - The Law

Handicapped PlateReserved parking for people with disabilities ensures safe and equal access to goods and services, access which most of us take for granted. This publication explains the rules that businesses and all drivers should observe about reserved parking spaces. It also presents information on how to obtain license plates and parking permits that allow individuals with severe disabilities to use specially-marked parking spots.

Reserved parking for people with disabilities is a legal requirement, not just a courtesy. You can help support the law by parking in reserved spaces only if you have a permit or plates for people with disabilities, and only when the person who received the permit or plates is actually in the vehicle. Please avoid parking in the access aisle or striped area next to a reserved parking space - it is not a parking zone. This special area is needed for access by people who use wheelchairs and specially-equipped vehicles.

It is important to respect each other. Please, be parking considerate.

Click here for an application.

Additional Information

What is a handicapped parking permit?
A handicapped parking permit is a permit issued by a locality to persons who are disabled. The permit is issued to the person, not the vehicle. A permit may be issued to a disabled child who is a passenger in the parent’s vehicle. The permit is free.
Where do I apply for a handicapped parking permit?
You must live in New York State to be eligible for a permanent parking permit, but you need not be a licensed driver or own a vehicle. You must apply in the locality in which you live. A temporary parking permit, valid for six months, is available for a non-resident with a qualifying disability.
Are there different permits?
Yes, there are two types of permit, permanent and temporary.
Who is eligible for a handicapped parking permit?

A qualifying disability is one or more of the following impairments, disabilities or conditions that are both permanent in nature and affect mobility:

  1. Use of portable oxygen;
  2. Legal blindness;
  3. Limited use, or no use, of one or both legs;
  4. Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping;
  5. A neuro-muscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility;
  6. A Class III or IV cardiac condition (American Heart Association standards);
  7. Severe limitation in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition;
  8. Restriction because of lung disease to such an extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg of room air at rest;
  9. Any other physical or mental impairment not previously listed which constitutes an equal degree of disability, and imposes unusual hardship in the use of public transportation and prevents the person from getting around without great difficulty.

A Temporary Parking Permit, valid for six months, may be issued when a person has a temporarily disabling condition that makes the person unable to walk without a cane, crutches, a walker or other assisting device. To apply for a temporary permit, you must present the same proof of disability as required for a permanent permit. The temporary permit will allow the same access to reserved parking spaces. If you have a temporary parking permit that is due to expire, and you still have a qualifying disability, you must obtain a new medical certification before you can apply for another parking permit.

What kind of proof of disability do I need to show?

You may provide one of these proofs of disability:

  1. Have your doctor fill out the Medical Certification, Part II, on the "Application for License Plates and Parking Permits for People with Severe Disabilities" (MV-664.1). This form may be used to apply for license plates for people with disabilities and is accepted by most localities for a parking permit. The form is available at any motor vehicle office, by request from the DMV Call Center, for the DMV Internet Office, and from most permit issuing agents in cities, towns and villages. To determine which governmental office issues permits in your area, contact your local town, city or village clerk, or visit the DMV Internet Office:
  2. Obtain a statement from a doctor certifying that you have a qualifying disability. The statement must be less than one year old, describe the condition and how it limits your mobility, be on the doctor's letterhead, and include the doctor's professional license number and signature. If the doctor practices outside New York State, the statement must identify the doctor's licensing state. A similar statement is also acceptable from:
    • a hospital, clinic or medical facility; the NYS Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in the NYS Department of Education; or
    • the NYS Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped in the Office of Children and Family Services (for verification of legal blindness).
  3. If you have an obvious, visible, permanent disability, such as the complete or partial loss of a leg or foot, the requirement for a medical statement may be waived by a DMV supervisor if you are applying for the license plates, or by the local issuing agent if you are applying for a permit.
  4. If you have moved to NYS and want to apply for New York State license plates or a parking permit for people with disabilities, you must provide proof of disability listed in 1 - 3 of the sections above even if you had parking privileges in your former state. Your out-of-state permit cannot be accepted in exchange for a NYS permit or plates.
  5. If you already have license plates for people with disabilities, a locality may accept your registration as proof for issuing a permit. Check with your local issuing agent before applying.

It is a misdemeanor under the NYS Penal Law (Section 210.45) to make a false statement or provide misinformation to obtain a parking permit for a person with a disability, and is punishable by fines from $250 to $1,000. Additional civil penalties from $250 to $1,000 may also be imposed under Section 1203-a (4) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law. These penalties also apply to doctors providing certifications, as well as applicants.

Who Can Certify a Disability?
To qualify for the license plates or the parking permit, you must present proof of the disability from a medical doctor (MD), doctor of osteopathy (DO), doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM, licensed in NYS only). Only these medical professionals are considered "doctors" as the term is used in this publication. A doctor licensed in New York or another state may certify for conditions #1 through #8 previously listed. Only doctors licensed in New York State may certify for condition #9. A podiatrist must be licensed in NYS, and may certify applicants only for severe disabilities of the foot.
Does the permit expire?
Each "permanent" or temporary permit has an expiration date. For a temporary permit, the expiration time is no more than six months. For a permanent permit the expiration time is five years. You may renew both. An expired permit is not valid and cannot be used.
Can a permit be revoked?
Yes, if the permit is misused, the locality which issued it may revoke it or refuse to renew it.
Is the permit valid outside of New York State?
For the most part, New York State honors other states’ handicapped parking permits and other states honor ours. However, it is always recommended to check with local authorities in other states
Are there special instructions for displaying the permit?
The handicapped parking permit is to be hung off your rear view mirror when parked. Do not drive the vehicle with the parking permit hanging off the mirror. After you have parked the vehicle, lock the doors, since people have been known to steal permits out of vehicles.
What if I lose my permit or it is destroyed?
If you lose your permit or it is stolen or destroyed, immediately report it to the locality that issued the permit. You will need to obtain a new permit from the locality that issued your permit.

Handicapped License Plates

Handicapped PlateThe Department of Motor Vehicles issues license plates for people with permanent disabilities for use on passenger cars, motorcycles, vans, and pickup trucks not used for commercial purposes. You do not have to be a resident of New York State or even a licensed driver to obtain the license plates, but you must be at least 16 years old to register a vehicle. License plates with the International Symbol of Access are only issued for a vehicle registered in the name of the person who has the disability, and each individual with a disability may have only one set of license plates. If you cannot register the vehicle in the name of the disabled person, refer to the section on Parking Permits. You may apply at any state or county motor vehicle office for a second set of license plates for another family member who also has a disability. In addition to providing the documentation for registering the vehicle, you also must provide the family member's driver license, proof of disability and a completed Application for License Plates and Parking Permits for People With Severe Disabilities (MV 664.1). Personalized license plates (up to six characters) with the International Symbol of Access are available for an additional charge.

Please contact: The DMV Custom Plates Office, 6 Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12228 or call 1-518-402-4838

Proper Use of Valid Permits or License Plates

Any vehicle that has a license plate or valid permit displaying the International Symbol of Access may use parking spaces designated for use by a person with a disability. The person to whom the license plate or permit was issued must be traveling in the vehicle in order to use these spaces.

Plates and permits do not allow you to disobey state or local parking regulations. They also do not exempt you from parking fees unless a locality has adopted an ordinance to that effect. The fine for illegally parking in a space reserved for people with disabilities is $50 to $150, plus a mandatory $30 surcharge.

Misuse of Parking Permits or Plates

It is a serious misuse of license plates and permits for the disabled when someone other than the person with a disability uses the plates or permit to park in a space reserved for people with disabilities. These license plates or parking permits are valid only when the person with a disability who received the plates or permit is driving the vehicle or is a passenger in it. If you misuse plates or a parking permit or allow someone else to use them, the DMV may revoke the license plates or the locality that issued the permit may revoke the permit, or they may deny renewal.


Apply for plates or a permit for people with disabilities only if you have a qualifying disability.

  • When parked, hang the parking permit from the vehicle's inside rear-view mirror. Remove the permit from the mirror before driving.
  • Use the parking spaces reserved for the disabled only if you have the license plates or parking permit, and only when the person with a disability is driving or riding in the vehicle.
  • Never park in the access aisle or striped area next to a reserved parking space. This allows access to the parking space by people with wheelchairs and specially-equipped vehicles. It is not a parking zone.
  • Do NOT allow others to misuse your plates or permit.
  • When you use the license plates or parking permit for the disabled, you are NOT exempt from parking regulations or fees.

  • Freedom of Information Requests (FOIL)

    The Village Clerk is the Village’s Freedom of Information Officer/Records Access Officer and is designated as the records access officer and has the duty of coordinating the Village’s response to public requests for access to records pursuant to the NY State Freedom of Information Law (FOIL). FOIL requests can be submitted in paper form or by e-mail. Paper copies of records cost 25 cents a page. However, there is no charge if the records are available in an electronic format and are transmitted as such.